Thursday, October 13, 2011

Another successful WindsorEssex Circle Event last night

Thanks to everyone who attended last night at The Windsor Club for a successful Circle event!   The number of discussions happening in the room and high level of energy are signs of successful relationship building and networking.

Observing how we interact and listen was a good challenge I gave myself last night.  Yes I caught myself losing focus a couple of times and quickly looked the speaker in the eye and concentrated on the conversation. 

One interesting observation at these types of events is watching two people in a conversation and a third person approach.  

 Sometimes the third person stands outside of the "circle" waiting.   Sometimes one of the individuals says hello and the two-way conversation resumes.   Sometimes the person talking stops, says hello to the individual and introduces them to the other person.

I found myself in this situation several times last night.  I used to say hello to the newcomer and then continue with my conversation.   Last night I changed my gameplan and did my best to say hello and  introduced the third person.   Once they two were having a discussion telling their story it was easy to either stay and listen or move to introduce others to each other.    

This is referred to as Triad relationships:   invite the third person and make the connection instead of focusing on the two-person conversation and leaving the third person out.  

Try it and share your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment