Thursday, November 3, 2011

Take your Kids to Work Experience

Yesterday my 14 year old daughter Haley "shadowed" me to observe what I do all day.

The morning started out slow for her as she watched me sift through the Inbox.   At first she seemed interested and soon it became apparent it was so much information to decipher so she decided to sit back and let me complete the three D's.

I did my best to explain the three D's and how it helps deal with so much information:   Do, Delegate or Delete.   Haley seemed to like this process!

The rest of the morning included a number of internal conversations and phone calls.   She even coached me on one conversation to let the other person finish before making my comment.  Thanks Haley and caught myself later in the day.   This time I bit my tongue and waited!

We stopped into a few places and she listened to some business chat and everyone asked her questions about the day and what career she was pursuing.

Lunch was the highlight of the day!   When deciding on lunch I wanted to create a "wow" memory.   The Windsor Club is one of those venues where you can take someone for the first time and hear them say "wow".   Haley certainly enjoyed the view, lunch and awesome dessert.

We stopped into the Business Accelerator and chatted with the WEtech team.   Thanks Yvonne for a great tour and engaging her in conversations about entrepreneurs and her career.

Last meeting of the day was with a University Student I met via SIFE.   He wanted to share his idea and dreams of his career.   This was a good experience for Haley to see someone closer in her age talk about what they wanted to do, their aspirations and their fears.

Haley' report at dinner was rating the day as an 8 since the morning was just OK. Well I have three years to prepare for Sydney and hope to get at least a 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment