Friday, November 4, 2011

Letting Someone else take the Lead

As a Leader it's easy to take move discussions forward and bring energy to the table.   It's sometimes challenging to let someone else take the lead.

I'm spending more time observing our corp team and letting them take the lead.   Simply observing and not partaking in the discussion can be easy at times and yet very challenging at other times.

One of the meetings yesterday, with a long-term client, resulted in bouncing the lead from me to the corp rep.   The client looked at me and moved the conversation back to me several times.  

Since we have a long history together, I chose to run with each discussion and moved it back to the corp rep.   This happened several times in this meeting.  

In reflecting on this particular meeting, it may have been better for the corp rep to keep the lead and "allow" me to comment and take back the lead to focus on the original purpose of the meeting.

My goal is to support the Team and provide feedback.   The rep was glad I attended and commented on how natural the conversation moved with my replies.   This will happen as he learns more about our products and services and will find the focus will shift away from the "specifications" to the business side of the conversation.

Looking forward to the next meeting to watch this corp rep take the lead!

No comments:

Post a Comment