Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Social Media Stress

This week we welcome my good friend and Guest Blogger Marian Doll, Director, Student Awards & Financial Aid, University of Windsor.

I'm slowly realizing that a big part of my stress these days is because of technology.  Work and life in general have their own set of challenges.  In addition we are all so immersed within a world surrounded by quick texts, likes, tweets, Facebook updates and connecting with others in so many ways than we could have ever imagined 20 years ago - a time when we actually "talked" to people and had conversations in full sentences.

I do think social media definitely has a purpose in our lives and is a great way to stay in touch and connect with those you might never have connected to, from both a personal and business perspective.  I consider myself a fairly well balanced person and I still struggle with the dynamics of social media.   I often feel for the young and impressionable who do not really have the life experiences that allow them to keep things in perspective.

I have friends who have not succumbed to the social media drug and my hats off to them.   Twenty years ago my life seemed much simpler.   Today, trying to raise two young girls with the perspective on what it was like for us growing up is a challenge. 

I just  hope that we as parents can use our experiences to guide them and to help keep them grounded to what really matters:  honesty, integrity and a solid work ethic.  We cannot shelter them, but as long as they use social media to build on those three things, I think we will be OK.

Marian Doll, Guest Blogger
Director, Student Awards & Financial Aid
University of Windsor

No comments:

Post a Comment