Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Are you Really on Vacation?

This week was supposed to be a vacation week to relax at home with the Family.   When we decided a couple of weeks ago, most of the week was available, moved some appointments and kept commitments for Monday and Tuesday.

Monday morning the team was surprised to see me in since they were under the impression I was on vacation.   Same conversation on Tuesday morning.   Wait until I stop in later this morning (Wednesday morning) for an opportunity scheduled at 9 this morning at the office and 11 at another opportunity at a prospect' office. 

Vacation actually starting at noon today!


Since it's really a vacation week, here is the blog posted in the Fall about being on vacation and hope you enjoy it:


When you are on vacation, are you really on vacation?

How close are you to the office with your Smartphone, Tablet and Notebook?   There are so many ways to stay in touch with e-mail, texting, cell phones.....does one ever turn it off?

I like to glance all my e-mails/texts/voicemails first thing in the morning and mid-day.   I respond or forward the ones requiring an answer before the vacation is over.

With Social Media added to the mix, there are schedules set-up prior to vacation so information can be sent out while you are away.  

Here's to turning it off most of the time while on vacation!

5 comments:

  1. Very true Frank.

    We have to ask ourselves... "Are you doing the most productive thing at any given time?” and that doesn’t always mean you're working but if you at the office work, don't relax... and if you're on the beach you better be relaxing and not working.

    "Wherever you are, be there."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the break, you deserve it! It does need to be said that everyone 'vacations' differently. In my past life I worked with some people who were on vacation even when they were at work!

    That said, what you turn off and how needs to correspond with how you feel - will you be stressed out by not checking and forwarding; will you be worried about what is waiting for you and you want to mitigate some of that - that is all good. We need to act in ways that help us to enjoy our time away.

    If, for some reason, you have not developed the team to feel empowered enough to handle situations, or you have become the sole decision-maker, are you really a leader or are you a dictator?

    Planning is key. Knowing why you are staying connected is facing reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lucas and Lora for your comments. Back at the office!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been trying to take real vacation for years. Finally couple of years ago I realized that work-less vacation will never happen. So, instead, I decided to turn entire life to a one big working vacation. So, instead of having strict work hours, I work when there is work to be done, and take time to spend with family and travel whenever I can (thanks to technology, working from anywhere is possible, and I would argue, even more productive).

    Last week my customers still received great service they are used to receive from me, they just did not know that I was doing it from the Club Lounge in Sheraton hotel, while enjoying the view of the Niagara Falls. I was working when my young son was sleeping or resting, and enjoying life when he was ready to go :)

    P.S. This summer, I did an experiment with my team - everyone either received every other Friday off during summer months or was allowed to leave each Friday at Noon as long as work was done (all paid of course). It turns out that productivity did not suffer at all, and everyone was feeling better because of the extra time off everyone received. I have already decided that next year we are going to do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dejan, thanks for sharing your story. Why not continue the Friday plan all year long?

    ReplyDelete