Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Top 7 Business Networking Tips

Here are some of my networking tips for attending events. 

1.  Arrive early

2.  Bring lots of business cards (caught only once    without a card and good story here, if interested just ask)

3.  Take a genuine interest in each person you meet and ask them to tell their story

4.  Set a goal to meet three new people

5.  Listen attentively (remember names!)

6.  Ask for the other person' business card

7.  Introduce the person you just met to someone else

Working on #5 - any tips you have on remembering names is always appreciated.   

#3 can be challenging especially when you notice others in the background who you may want to also have a good discussion with.  

As the host of an event, #3 is especially difficult to not be distracted or to quickly stop the conversation and greet the other individual.  The balance I have found is to welcome the other person into the conversation, make the introductions and ensure they have started a new conversation.   Most of the time, this provides a graceful way to leave the two and continue networking with others.

What are your networking tips?

5 comments:

  1. When you meet someone, say their name 3 times in your head - it will stick!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Further to Lora's comment, use the persons name in your conversation at least three times during the short time of your initial meeting. eg. "So Georgette, where do you ..". This helps to pronounce it correctly as well. Using this along with tip #7 also help others to remember names as well - helping each other remmeber names as well. True network at is't best. Also state your name again as well to help the other person remember yours - "So nice to have chatted with you Georgette, Georgette right ? And I'm Larry.". My experience has been that people are very appreciative of this small gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lora and Larry for sharing your tips. Looking forward to trying these out at the next networking event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also try to connect or associate the new person in some way to someone else I know well by the same name (this "Ahmed" reminds me of Ahmed Ali because they both like race car driving). Or I use something about their physical appearance to make a rhyme or a hook to help me recall their name next time I meet them. (For example, I met a guy wearing really cool shaped plastic framed glasses, hence "I like square Mike" became my way to remember his name.)
    Obviously, these are not tools you share out loud, as in repeating their name during the conversation. But they have worked well for me in the past, especially when meeting a number of people at once (like in a networking session or a group meeting).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good suggestions Denise and will use my inside voice when trying your tips.

    ReplyDelete