Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Co-op the Opportunity!




This week we welcome Guest Blogger Matthew Renaud, Workforce Trends Analyst at Workforce WindsorEssex.

If you have the ability of offering co-op placements to high school, University, or College students, do it.  


Sure, you have to dedicate extra time to administration activities, but it opens up a whole new world of opportunities for the student that can only benefit their career path. Plus, there is a co-op tax credit available to the employer if it is paid co-op, and the employer is better able to connect with the local youth talent pool.


I was lucky enough to land my final co-op placement with a non-profit organization in downtown Windsor called Workforce WindsorEssex, the regional workforce development board. You can think of the work we do as this: making sure the local workforce gets the training and education to develop the skills that employers need for the available jobs, or visit www.WorkforceWindsorEssex.com for more information.


At WFWE (as we call it), I have been able to meet so many great people and organizations, including Frank and the awesome team at AlphaKOR. If you get the chance, do stop by their building, you won’t be disappointed.


As part of my placement at WFWE, I have been able to explore the Downtown Windsor Business Accelerator and interact with WEtech Alliance, take a tour of Radix (a manufacturing solutions provider), and view the stunning production studios at TVCocego, which, by the way, is always looking for volunteers.


Each day I get real-time feedback on my progression and abilities, what am I doing well and where can I improve. (I think the biggest progression has been the ability to write fluffier emails, that is, emails filled with more words that mean something.)


Co-op has given me the opportunity to work with experienced community leaders like Donna Marentette. I can tap into their wealth of knowledge and learn how they handle different situations. For example, if we are looking to collaborate on a project, Donna immediately starts writing all of our thoughts on the whiteboard, and it is amazing to see how she can bring different organizations to the table to form a partnership. 

This is one tool I plan to use in my working life. I would highly recommend the use of a whiteboard (or smartboard!) in your company – it is a perfect tool to see the whole idea in one place.

Guest Blog Post
Matthew Renaud

mrenaud@workforcewindsoressex.com


No comments:

Post a Comment